Tuesday 14 February 2017

Split #1

Name: Mugstar/Cosmic Dead
Album: Burning Mirror / Fuckahyoocastaluh Split
Year: 2014
Label: Evilhoodoo
Links: Bandcamp



The split single/EP/LP is something relatively new to me.  For those of you not familiar with the term, it's when a number of bands (mainly two) release a single/EP or indeed an album. Generally speaking each band have a number of their own songs on each side of a vinyl record.

It's a very good idea for a number of reasons. Firstly, the bands would have their own sets of fans and it is a good way for each band to seek out new fans. More often than not, both bands would have a similar style in music. I know I've bought LPs from the unknown band on the other side because of the effectiveness of the split.

 Secondly, unless you are signed to a major label, which most bands in the universe aren't, then  they have to cough up the money themselves to release an album/LP. I'm guessing most bands wouldn't have that kinda cash to burn so it spreads the cost of releasing an EP/LP in half for both bands.

Plenty of people will tell you that the bands only use material that is left over from recording an album or EP themselves. i.e. The songs being of an inferior quality. Well, I can tell you any Split I've bought are top notch, so don't let that stop you!



The Cosmic Dead-Fukahyoocastulah

The first split I'm going to share with you is one that was recommended to me. Up until then I didn't have a split in my collection so I asked a couple of like minded people if they could recommend one. This is what they came up with! Mugstar / Cosmic Dead ‎– Burning Mirror / Fuckahyoocastaluh. I have to say it blew my mind. I hadn't anything in my collection by either band and have since bought a number of releases by both.




Full album

It is released on Evilhoodoo Records in a limited edition of 1000 copies in official Evil Hoodoo hand-made cotton sleeve (if bought direct from them) 600 on black vinyl and 400 on ox-blood-red vinyl. Both these bands will feature on Vinyl Friday in the weeks to come.

As you can see the sleeve is a mock of a very well known album cover, can you name it?








2 comments:

  1. Finally, a couple of bands I know! Particularly love The Cosmic Dead side. Ace stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to play The Cosmic Dead side more regularly than Mugstar. Saw them last year, Was one of the most intense gigs I was ever at. I was exhausted after the gig from just listening to them!

    ReplyDelete